Works in conjunction with the Chief Housekeeper to coordinate, schedule, and supervise the day-to-day activities of the stateroom, public areas, open decks housekeeping function.
To support Celebrity Cruises mission of sustaining -the worlds ultimate premium cruise line with a taste of luxury,- all duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with Celebrity Cruises Pillars of Safety, Service and Style, ISM/ISO standards, USPH guidelines, and environmental regulations.
- Each shipboard employee may be required to perform all functions in various service venues and throughout the ship.
- In accordance with Celebrity Cruises Pillars of Safety, Service and Style, as well as through Celebrity Connections, each employee conducts oneself in a professional and courteous manner at all times. This consists of physical and verbal interactions with guests or fellow shipboard employees and/or in the presence of guest contact and Celebrity Family Member (CFM) areas.
- Directs, coaches, supports, supervises and evaluates (in conjunction with the Chief Housekeeper) the performance of all direct reports.
- Manages the assignment of duties, responsibilities and workstations to his/her staff. Observes and evaluates staff and work procedures to ensure quality standards and service are met. Presents overtime needs to Chief Housekeeper for final approval.
- Implements Pillars of Safety, Service and Style Standards for the Housekeeping function.
- Collaborates with the Chief Housekeeper, to review the requirements of the days schedule, guest requirements, guest comments and other related details.
- Meets with staff daily to review changes and/or revisions to programming based on itinerary, weather conditions, demographics, etc.
- Responds to guest concerns in a considerate, professional and positive manner by showing empathy and listening actively. Takes ownership of guest concerns, by following-up and ensuring complaints are resolved to the guests satisfaction.
- Is aware of, and/or acquires the necessary knowledge to comply with the ships standard operation, in order to assist guests and CFMs with inquiries.
- Responsible to collect and review the Housekeeping CFMs time cards and forward to the Chief Housekeeper.
- Responsible to visit each stateroom once during the cruise and introduce themselves to guest in order to ensure that they are satisfied with the services rendered.
- Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work-related activities as required.
- Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
Financial responsibilities for budget, expenses and/or achievement of revenue targets.
- This position is responsible for cost containment through the proper use, handling and maintenance of records, reports, supplies and equipment.
- Creates and submits requisitions, views requisition estimates for product replacements, supplies, purchases, etc. and forwards to the Chief Housekeeper for final approval.
- Conducts workstation spot checks to ensure items are correctly stored to minimize deterioration and waste.
People management responsibilities to ensure optimal performance of the function.
- Monitors and manages the various assigned workstation functions. Monitors the assignment of duties and responsibilities to his/her staff. Observes and evaluates staff and work procedures to ensure quality standards and service are met. Makes recommendations regarding personnel actions such as new hire requests and discharges, to ensure adequate and continuous staffing. Inspects workstations, work areas, equipment, etc. to ensure efficient service and conformance to standards.
- On a regular basis, meets with his/her staff, to review the requirements of the days schedule, guest requirements and disseminates any other company related correspondence, notices, policies, procedures, etc. Reviews schedule to estimate time requirements to ensure speed and efficiency. Meets with staff to review guest comments to implement revisions and improvements.
- Mentors, develops and provides on-the-job training to his/her staff to strengthen their current performance and preparation for future advancement.
Minimum experience and qualification requirements for position:
Minimum hiring, language and physical requirements to perform the job.
- One to two years housekeeping supervisory experience in an upscale hotel, resort or cruise line (shipboard experience preferred).
- Minimum one to two years previous cleaning experience, preferably in an upscale hotel, resort or cruise line (shipboard experience preferred).
- Knowledge of proper cleaning techniques, requirements and use of equipment.
- Knowledge of proper chemical handling.
- Ability to utilize customer service skills by exercising authority and discretion to satisfy guests in a manner consistent with Pillars of Safety, Service and Style Standards.
- Very strong management skills in a multicultural and dynamic environment.
- Very strong communication, problem solving, decision making, and interpersonal skills.
- Superior customer service, teambuilding and conflict resolution skills.
- Knowledge of the principles and processes for providing personalized services including needs assessment techniques, quality service standards, alternative delivery systems, and guest satisfaction evaluation techniques.
- Strong planning, coaching, organizing, staffing, controlling, and evaluating skills.
- Ability to work positively and cooperatively in a diverse team environment to meet overall established timeframes for the entire housekeeping operation. Ability to communicate tactfully with, department heads, coworkers and other shipboard CFMs to resolve problems and negotiate resolutions.
- Knowledge of policies and practices involved in the human resources function. Ability to manage the international staff in a positive and productive manner by motivating, developing and managing employees as they work. Ability to utilize and administer the disciplinary action process through coaching and counseling to improve performance or terminate employment.
- Working knowledge of computers, Internet access, and the ability to navigate within a variety software packages such as Excel, Word or related programs.
- Completion of high school or basic education equivalency required.
Internal Candidate Requirements:
In addition to the stated hiring requirements, internal candidates are required to fulfill the following:
- Completion of two contracts as a Stateroom Attendant with a performance rating of satisfactory or above along with demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests.
- Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers.
- Ability to speak additional languages such as Spanish, French or German preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- All shipboard employees must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.